It was a great way to use up all those tomatoes as well! Anyone else dealing with a surplus of tomatoes right now?
It can be made in a skillet or dutch oven on your stove top, or baked in the oven for 3 hours if you have the time.
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion, sliced
- 1-5 cloves of Garlic, crushed
- 1 small Eggplant, chopped
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped (Red, Yellow, Orange or Green)
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 Yellow Summer Squash, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- A few springs of Fresh Oregano
- 3 ripe Tomatoes, chopped (or about 1 1/4 cups)
- Handul of Fresh Basil, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Add in the peppers, zucchini, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes until everything is soft and starting to golden.
Taste and season as needed. Stir in fresh basil before you serve.
- Layer all the ingredients (except salt) in a large dutch oven or casserole dish.
- Press down if needed.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil, then cover and bake at 350°F for 3 hours. Occasionally baste when liquid starts to form.
- If there is too much liquid forming, uncover for the last hour to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Mix gently and sprinkle with salt before serving.
Serve immediately or refridgerate overnight and allow the flavours to enhance.
Leftover Ratatouille is great as a pasta sauce, pizza topping, on bread with cheese or even part of a stuffed pasta like ravioli or canneloni.